In planning our tagalong tours I often get asked about discount Asian airlines, similar to Virgin or Jetstar in Australia. Most of the carriers I’ve found, fly out of Singapore, Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur. Here’s a list of the best and cheapest Asian airlines I’ve found so far:
- Air Asia flies to a huge range of destinations… more choice if you fly from Kuala Lumpur but you can fly fron Singapore to Krabi in Thailand for around 30 bucks… which is cheaper than any airline flying out of Bangkok!
- Jetstar Asia, also known as Valueair, flies from Singapore to Indonesia including Bali… so you could fly to Singapore, zap up to Bangkok on airasia and then down to Bali to finish your holiday on jetstar asia.
- Tiger Airways fly to similar destinations as Air Asia but uses Singapore as its main hub. I like this airline because they also fly to Darwin, Australia. So this airline might really suit people flying from Europe or USA to Singapore and then want to travel Asia and China and then finish up in Australia.
- Bangkok Air fly into all the groovy destinations in and around Thailand like Luang Prabang, Siem Reap for Angkor Wat. Not the cheapest airline but it certainly goes to some interesting places from Bangkok.
- 1 2 GO Air is a domestic Thai discount carrier flying to unusual towns and cities in Thailand.
There are more airlines that fly into other destinations in Asia but these airlines service Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia at a very reasonable price